South vs North - Isn't it interesting. Divya Pramil is conducting this challenge.
This challenge runs every month from 1st to month end. South team will decide the recipe for the north and vice verse. This month my friend Divya is the hoster for South team and Sruthi for North team.
South team - to make bhel puri and north team to make Mysorepak.
As i belong to South team - I need to make bhel puri chaat.
Here is my recipe.
IngredientsMaida/ All purpose flour - 1 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp
chilli powder - 1/2 tbsp
Ajwain/Kalonji seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - As reqd
Water - for kneading
Oil - for deep frying
- Mix flour, oil/ghee, ajwain, chilli powder and salt well and then add water little by little to make a stiff dough. Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Again knead well to form a smooth dough and roll into big thin chappatis. Cut into small circles using any lid.
- Prick with fork to avoid puffing and deep fry in hot oil both sides in medium flame until golden in colour.
- Drain in paper towel and store in airtight container after cooling down.
Dates(de seeded) - 4 nos.
Tamarind - 1/2 lemon size
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Water - 1 cup
- Soak both dates and tamarind in water for 15 mins and after that extract the juice from them.
- Now heat the pan and pour the juice and add sugar, chilli powder and salt to it.
- Allow it to boil. Once it reaches the tomato sauce consistency. Turn off the flame.
- Sweet chutney is ready
For Bhel Puri:
Puffed rice - 2 cup
Maida padis - 10 Nos (break into pieces)
Sev - 1 cup
Big onion - 1 chopped finely
Tomato - 1 chopped finely
Grated Carrot - 1/4 cup
Mango - 1/4 cup
Sweet chutney - 4 tbsp
Coriander - for garnishing
- Take a large bowl and mix all above ingredients (except sev and papdis) and toss well.
- Lastly add the sev and papdis and mix well.
Bhel puri ready to eat.
(Some in my family doen't like the green chutney, hence i have avoided that)
This is the first time I made this chaat at home. That too it was bro B'day. We all had fun and enjoyed the bhel puri.
I have completed my first challenge. Thanks to Divya for the opportunity.